Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Semi Vegetarian

I mentioned in a previous post that I haven't been eating all that much meat recently. For a few years now, I have been back and forth on whether or not to become a vegetarian. For the most part, I'm tempted because of environmental concerns (read Michael Pollen's The Omnivore's Dilemma) and animal cruelty. I actually am not against the consumption of animal products but I prefer to do so in a eco-conscious manner. For example, I think that small farms that treat their livestock humanely and don't pump them full of hormones are lovely. However, the vast majority of meat in supermarkets and restaurants comes from concentrated animal feeding operations (affectionately known as CAFOs) which saddens me. THerefore, it's really just easier to forego meat if I really want to practice what I preach.

On the other hand, the second I decide that I'm giving up meat for good, all I want is a cheeseburger. And a giant corned beef sandwich. And maybe some flank steak with chimichurri sauce. And a big plate of meat lasagna. So you can seem my dilemma! I suppose that happens with a lot of things in that once it is banned, it is all that I can think about.

Therefore, I've finally come to the semi-vegetarian catagory. Ninety-five percent of the time, I try to avoid meat products but since it's not actually forbidden, it's a much easier policy to follow. There are some comfort foods, like the aforementioned corned beef, that I'm not willing to give up but on a day-to-day basis, I try to be fairly meat free. It's super easy to do most of the time since I cook and prepare the majority of my own food. However, when I go out to eat with friends, I usually don't admit my eating status to fellow diners because it prompts a few undesired responses.

(1.) You're a big pansy for not eating meat.
(2.) Yay for not eating meat! Wait, did you just get bacon?
(3.) Being a vegetarian most of the time doesn't make you a vegetarian.

So really, it's just private choice to not eat a lot of meat that I try to live by but no need to be perfect. (Well, private except between you and me now!) I still eat a fair amount of fish, but now that I think about it, I don't think that I've had meat in 2 or 3 weeks now. However, I'm also going out for Ethiopian food tonight so we'll see how that goes! :) Do you have any self-imposed food choices?

I also need to squeeze in a four mile run today. Because of my schedule today, I need to do it inside on a treadmill. Boo. I feel like a hamster on a treadmill. I do appreciate that it's flat and very convenient at least and I think for my 8 miler on Friday (knee pending of course) that I'll make it out to the Brentwood trail. Even if I have to walk a bit of it, it should be an enjoyable romp. Bug spray is definitely a necessity though!!

Finally, my yoga class yesterday was lovely again!! The teacher is so challenging and teaches lots of poses that I've never done before. Plus, she is really hands on and corrects your alignment which I love. It's the only way I learn, especially since there is no mirror in the room. We also spent a lot of time in trikonasana and half moon pose which are two of my favorites. All in all, a great class. A friend of mine also started it too which was sooo much fun, especially since we got sushi afterward. Actually, I should probably eat before class because I started thinking about food about halfway through! All in all, it was a solid class and I'm looking forward to another yoga class tomorrow. Life is pretty good. :)

No comments: