Sunday, April 4, 2010

The long winding hill

Hello! I'm back from NY for a wonderful (short) Easter break. I was only able to steal home for a long weekend, but it was just long enough to get a little bit of a rest. There are only 3 weeks of class left so life is about to get chaotic. Eek

On Friday I was able to steal away for a long run. I always get nervous before I head out on a run past 5 miles or so. Anyway, I was planning on doing about 8 or so, and my mom drove us out about 2 miles away from the house and ran the first couple with me (she's coming just off injury too!). The route was basically running up this long mile long hill and back three times and then the two miles home. It was excruciating, to say the least! The grade on the hill wasn't terribly steep but it was for the whole mile up. By the 5th mile, I really just wanted to keep going and head home, but I turned around for the final time up and down that blasted hill.

Finally I got to start the trip home, with one fourth and final time up the mile stretch. However, the last mile of the trek home though was an enormous hill. Gigantic. Huge. Monstrous. My mom had suggested that I just walk it since it was so steep, particularly since it was pretty gravely. Both wanting to get home and being an idiot, I tried to run it. I made it up! And then spent the next 3 minutes trying to catch my breath and not puke. I was successful though and made it home for a grand total of 8.6 miles of pure hilly torture. Well, the whole thing wasnt torture but parts were certainly pretty bad!

I followed up with ice and some rolling, and it seems like my ITBs did pretty well! My lower back was a little sore the day after, but I think it's from a combination of running on the pavement, lack of sleep, and the fuel belt I was using. It was slightly too big so I think I was arching my back a tad to keep it in place. My calves were also screaming the next day but that's to be expected. All in all, I made it past the distance where my ITBs gave out on me back in October and I'm pretty grateful to have made it past that point.

For next weekend, I decided to register for the 10k. I'm still a little scared of it so that's a good reason to do it. :) I think it's a pretty flat course too. Plus, free ice cream! If only they could put it on a stick and dangle it in front of me as I trot.

So my question for the day: The Country Music Half is in 3 weeks. Hypothetically, I do 9.5 next weekend, then 11 the following, should I got for it? I want to!!

No comments: